Erected by the Scaligeri, it was wisely exploited by the Gonzaga. It has eight hundred years of history behind it, and yet it is only publicly visible since 2013, after long and accurate restoration work. It is the Castello Scaligero di Villimpenta, a comune of the East Mantuan, close to the Veronese: a boundary land, spruced by the river Tione, is famous especially for the rigorously “dwarf dwarf” – which has always been produced.
The fortress plant consists of an irregular pentagram from which two polygonal towers and a massive 25 meter high tower are preserved, characterized by its imposing and solidity; the Castle was equipped with a tower at each corner, plus a long one, for a total of six. All were quadrilateral, though with not exactly right angles, since only the south-west can be pentagonal.
The doorman, located at the northwest corner, is about 42 meters high and is crowned by boulders and piers to form the strongest and most solid part of the castle, with a square base of 9 meters with a thickness of 2.30 masonry. Originally it was surrounded on all sides by the River Tione on the line of which, around the year 1000, in the time preceding the building of the fort, the monks of the Benedictine abbey of San Zeno from Verona were installed.
You may also be interested in: https://www.fuoriporta.org/eventi/festa-del-risotto-alla-pilota-castel-dario-mantova-lombardia/